Header/Navigation Bar

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Caramel Cake Recipe

My Grandma mentioned a few months back that she wished she had paid attention to how her sister made caramel icing. She said it was her favorite cake. I happen to find this recipe on Pinterest by Kathryn Greeley. She said it was her Grandmother's recipe. I thought I would try and surprise my sweet Grandma with this cake for her birthday. She loved it! It made my day to see her asking for more slices.





Cake Ingredients:
-3 sticks unsalted butter
-3 cups sugar
-5 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions: preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter, sugar, and eggs together and beat well. In a seperate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, and then add vanilla. Beat in a mixer bowel or with a hand mixer until the batter "ribbons". Pour the batter into 3 greased and floured 9 inch cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes and use a toothpick to check to see if it is done.  (You could also make this in a 9X13 cake pan but cook for 45 minutes). Cool layers on a cake rack before icing.

Icing Ingredients:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 (16 oz) box of light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk (canned)
- 2 cups of sifted confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspooons pure vanilla extract

Directions: Place butter, brown sugar and salt in a saucepan. Heat, stirring until the brown sugar is well dissolved. Add milk and continue stirring until blended. Let bubble (at an easy boil) for approximately 4 minutes. Stir constantly to avoid sticking. Set hot mixture aside to cool for several minutes. Using mixer, add confectioner's sugar and vanilla. You will see it turn lighter and caramelize. When you've reached the desired consistency, ice the cake, placing some of the icing between the layers.

This is the very first cake I've ever made completely from scratch. I'll be honest I wasn't a fan but I don't like caramel really. My Mom said it was the way it was supposed to be and I just don't like that kind of cake. As long as everyone else enjoyed it! I will admit the sides of the cake weren't iced as nice and neat and I wanted. Icing the sides was a challenge! I think overall it turned out well. My Grandma was happy and that's all that matters! What are your favorite things to bake for your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment